Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sept 29/30 SEEING THE SPIRIT

Penelope has always been a spirited child (read difficult), even in utero. As a baby she could never be put down or set in any swing/rocker/bouncy chair. I would watch as other mothers quietly pushed their cooing baby in a stroller as mine writhed and screamed if put in anything other than my arms.

The past few months have been a true test of both myself and Kyle's strength as parents and adults. Her high energy is not an issue as much as it is an amplifier to her intensity, persistence and inability to adapt to change. These personality traits have created in her the perfect storm. Emotional hurricanes that show form in constant and intense tantrums. Some mornings by 8:30am I'm already frazzled to the point of pulling my hair out.

This week at pre-school I dropped her off for the first day, and left like pulling off a band-aide. quick and definite. She has attached herself to another mother which gives me security to know she will be o.k. I am interested to see how over time her social skills, without me there, will develop. Both with other kids as well as other adults. Hopefully the tantrums will not surface once she becomes more comfortable with her peers.

On Friday, the day i stay at pre-school with her, I made a point of going to each room with her. Attempting to expose her to the art of "change of direction" to improve her slow-to-adapt-to-change nature.  
Being a parent is a wild ride! Even if your kid is more like a summer breeze than a class 5 hurricane ;-)    

1 comment: